Salary – 25K to 26.5K per annum and additional bonus scheme dependent on experience
35 HOURS PER WEEK
BASED WAMBROOK, CHARD
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join Ferne Animal Sanctuary to lead our Sanctuary Café.
In May 2021, the Sanctuary Café was relocated offering a larger commercial kitchen & increasing the number covers. The café is now a bright and welcoming place for individuals, families and groups alike. Going forward we are now looking for a proactive Chef who is looking for a new challenge to help develop our food offering and shape our café into a destination of choice.
You will be responsible for all aspects of kitchen management, stock control and pricing. You will design & continuously develop new & exciting menus, cookery workshops, and provide catering services to our Conference facilities.
You will have at least 2 years’ experience as a Chef or Senior Sous Chef in a full-service restaurant and be dedicated to food quality and control. With excellent communication & interpersonal skill you will highly organised and be comfortable working at pace and have previous supervisory experience.
We are looking for an outgoing person who is able to be hands on and can demonstrate a flexible and proactive approach to the day to day running of the café.
We’d like you to be enthusiastic and responsive to the Sanctuary needs and with a keen eye on delivering quality whilst maintaining value for money.
This position offers an immediate start and is offered on a full-time basis working 9am-5pm including regular weekend working. Occasional evenings will also be required.
Please apply with CV and covering letter addressed to Emma Purnell explaining your interest in this role and send to email@example.com
Free parking is available, along with uniform. Own transport is essential.
ESTATE WORKER – GENERAL
Salary – £8.91 per hour
37.5 HOURS PER WEEK
5 day rota including weekend and bank holiday working
BASED WAMBROOK, CHARD
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the sanctuary for a General Estates Worker.
Reporting to our Estates Manager you will be responsible for the provision of Estates maintenance; this will include general repair, cleaning and maintenance of the sanctuary property and care and maintenance of the sanctuary site including external retail units.
The successful candidate will have practical experience of buildings and grounds maintenance and practical experience of general maintenance, including the ability to use a range of equipment. It’s desirable you have the relevant NVQ or experience of at least 3 years.
Due to the loaction it is essential you have access to transport. Uniform and PPE will be provided.
Please email your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to Human Resources, Ferne Animal Sanctuary, Chard, Somerset, TA20 3DH
If you are unable to download the job details please contact email@example.com
Salary £18,000 to £19,000 Salary Dependant on experience
35 HOURS PER WEEK
BASED WAMBROOK, CHARD
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the Sanctuary’s finance team for a full time Finance Assistant. This is a broad and varied role with a range of responsibilities, reporting into the Finance Manager.
You will need to demonstrate excellent and accurate data entry skills, alongside the ability to effectively use Microsoft Office packages. It is important you have good interpersonal skills and are willing to be flexible in the workplace.
The successful candidate will have proven experience of working in a finance setting. It is desirable you have AAT level 3 or qualified by experience and experience of using financial system Sage50 & CRM Systems.
Due to the location and role it is essential you have access to transport and the ability to travel.
Please email your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to Emma Purnell, Ferne Animal Sanctuary, Chard, Somerset, TA20 3DH.
Ferne Animal Sanctuary – Chard
Animal Care Attendant – Live in / Live out – FULL TIME
Ferne Animal Sanctuary is looking for an animal care attendant to work with our amazing team. The role is physically and emotionally demanding, and you will be willing and able to work with all the animals at the sanctuary. We are particularly keen to hear from applicants with experience of looking after a variety of animals, preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate this.
Responsible for the smooth running of the section(s) on which they are working in accordance with the appropriate routines, rotas and instructions issued. Such duties will include, for example: cleaning, mucking out, feeding, grooming, exercising, health checks and the general well-being of their charges, administering treatments and medications instructed by the Manager, maintaining a high standard of hygiene and tidiness throughout the section.
– To perform other tasks as instructed by the Manager e.g. land management, keeping the Sanctuary grounds and buildings tidy, simple maintenance tasks, dealing with the general public, office duties, driving errands (after production of a valid, clean driving licence).
– Take care of all buildings, equipment and vehicles owned by the Sanctuary and be familiar with all aspects of health and safety at work, including fire regulations.
– Promote good relations with the general public (includes guided tours when requested). Have a friendly, polite attitude with the public and other staff.
– Contribute towards the desired climate and wellbeing of employees working and living at the Sanctuary.
– In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed, you may be required to perform other duties within your skill and competence as the employer may require.
– To take in and assess animals for integration and rehoming (where appropriate).
– To interview and assess potential adopters for dogs and cats and carry out the homing procedure.
– To carry out home checks when required and other errands when necessary.
– Some of the work may be unpleasant, physically, and emotionally demanding.
– Animal care attendants as part of their duties will have to clean animal housing and lift, hold, or restrain animals, risking exposure to bites or scratches.
– Work will often involve kneeling, crawling, repeated bending, and manual handling of supplies such as bales of hay or bags of feed.
– Animal care attendants work outdoors in all kinds of weather, and hours can be irregular.
– Animals must be looked after every day, so Animal Care Attendants will be expected to work evenings, weekend, and bank holiday shifts. The shift pattern is five days out of seven.
– You need to be able deal in a compassionate manner with people in difficult circumstances.
- General animal care experience
- Passion for improving the lives of animals
- Must be able to work alone and as part of a team
- Ability to attend work in a remote location not serviced by public transport
- Have a driving license and access to a vehicle
- Ability to undertake the physical nature of the work
- Qualification in Animal Care or equivalent experience working in an Animal Care environment
- An interest in having input in animal enrichment/improving their environments
- An interest in ethical animal training
The Sanctuary reserves the right to vary or amend the duties and responsibilities of the post-holder at any time according to its needs.
Job Descriptions only reflect 80% of a role and are not an exhaustive list of duties. You will be expected to carry out other activities that are within the scope of the role and within your skill and competence.
Ferne Animal Sanctuary – Chard
Retail Shop Managers – Zero Hours
You don’t need a reason to help animals, so why not volunteer in one of our charity shops today!
Our Crewkerne, Chard and Honiton charity shops are looking for retail managers on a zero hours contract to cover holidays, absence and training. Our charity shops sell a range of donated clothing, accessories and children’s toys. Working on a Zero Hours contract as required in one of our retail stores could make a real difference to the lives of the animals in our care, as well as bringing fulfilment and enjoyment to you.
The key purpose of the role is to maximise sales and profits, achieving targets set, delivering high standards through the effective management of volunteers. You will have line management responsibility for volunteers. Responsible for the day to day operation and performance of the shops while ensuring that targets are met through excellent customer service, effective planning, good merchandising and stock control, housekeeping and volunteer cover. Your background should have a good standard of general education including English, both written and oral and mathematics; previous retail experience, preferably at management level; and budget management, cash handling, banking and accounts.
Your skills should include: a flexible approach to the work place; friendly and approachable; able to motivate others; good organisational skills; and a positive attitude to team work
Hours: Zero hours contract to cover as required, 9.30 am – 4.45 pm with 1 hour unpaid lunchbreak. Job Share. Paid at minimum wage.